Applying quantity surveying principles and technology to building design and construction. You will develop the knowledge and skills in the commercial and financial management of construction projects. You will also learn the requirements for managing risk and proving value for a variety of clients taking into account sustainable and ethical dimensions.
There is currently a global shortage of qualified Quantity Surveyors. Graduates are in great demand because of the ever increasing importance placed on demonstrating value to Clients in the Public and Private sectors and society.
The combination of lectures, design workshops, field trips, site visits, tutorials with industry partners and an optional year-long paid industry placement, will prepare you for a range of routes in the built environment sector including design engineering, project management and architectural consultancy.
• Lead the way in the industry – our course focuses on contemporary themes of providing an analysis and understanding of value in terms of Client needs within a professional context.
• Being able to evaluate built environment projects in terms of sustainability, risk, performance and efficiency over the lifetime of the project.
• Be part of a vibrant multidisciplinary learning environment, working together with students from other disciplines in the construction sector, such as building surveying, architectural engineering, construction management and architecture.
• Sharing a common first year which will allow a transfer to other programmes in the School – Building Surveying, Architectural Engineering and Construction Management.
• Gain valuable workplace experience with paid year-long placement in a leading consultancy or contracting organisation in the UK or abroad. Our industry links will help you find a placement, boosting your studies with practical experience and developing the contacts that can lead to future employment.
• Real-world impact as you engage in industry-led group projects with real project briefs and clients. Guided by our panel of industrial advisers, you’ll develop the professional skills and networking to stand out in this sector.
• Explore the industry with site visits and field trips (including a fully funded European field trip), where you will observe building design, construction and operational practices within and outside the UK.
• Learn from leaders in their fields - our staff come from both industry and research backgrounds. You’ll have the opportunity to work alongside industry professionals and have access to an exciting and diverse programme of visiting speakers.
Award: BSc Professional Qualification 3 Years Full Time Taught in English